Alto Saxophone and Tuba Commissioning Consortium
It has been suggested that Sy Brandon compose a college level composition for Alto Saxophone and Tuba. Spectrum Suite would consist of seven short movements that musically depict the seven colors of the spectrum. The composition would be about 15 minutes long.
Red–signifies passion, vitality, enthusiasm and security. This movement would be lively and passionate.
Orange–represents creativity, practicality, playfulness as well as equilibrium or control. This movement would be moderate and playful.
Yellow–represents clarity of thought, wisdom, orderliness and energy. This movement would contain clear counterpoint and be energetic.
Green–denotes fertility, growth, balance, health and wealth. This movement would have a pastoral nature and lush harmonies.
Blue–makes us think of the Unknown. The sky and the wide oceans are in this color and hence it has been associated with Spirituality and Divinity. This movement would focus on the vastness of the oceans and would contain sea scenes.
Indigo–Indigo is mystical as it bridges the Gap between Finite and Infinite. Indigo colored gemstones are often used for spiritual attainment, psychic abilities, self-awareness and enhancement of Intuition. This movement would be mystical in nature.
Violet–is considered the highest element of spirituality. This movement would be rich and inspirational.
Movements will be posted here as they are created.
Number of participants and cost
- Cost of participation is $25 per group. The participation fee would be due within 30 days of receipt of the music.
- A minimum of 5 participants are needed to move forward on this project.
- Each participant should make a commitment to perform the composition at least once during the year following the receipt of score and parts.
- The score and parts will be delivered as PDF files in order to keep the commission cost low.
- Each participant will be listed on the composition as part of the consortium and will have local premiere rights.
- After one year, the composition will be made available for purchase by the general public. The copyright will remain with Co-op Press.
- Participants may submit a recording of their performance and be eligible to receive the $100 prize for the best recording submitted.
- By January 31, 2017 - expression of interest using email link at the bottom of this page.
- March 1, 2017 - composition emailed to participants
- April 1, 2017 - payment due
Participants as of 1/10/17:
Andrew Kesten and Paul Gibson - Tucumcari, NM
Richard Schwartz and Dustin Seifert - Eastern NM University - Portales, NM
Stephen Kunzer and Jeff Loefert - Oklahoma State University - Stillwater, OK
Phil Black - Wichita State University - Wichita, KS
Daniel Davis and Cameron Clements - Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge, LA
Promotion of the Commissioning Consortium
Please feel free to use news groups, forums, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin), and word of mouth to recruit participants. Your spreading the word helps us meet the minimum participation needed to move the project forward.
Email us using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page to express interest or to ask questions.