High School Level Small Concert Band Commissioning Consortium
It has been suggested that Sy Brandon compose an easy high school level composition for small concert band. Tweets would be a composition consisting of several short movements that express a range of emotions and would last approximately six minutes. It would be composed for a small concert band (optional oboe and bassoon, 2 horns, two trombones, doubling of bass line in tuba, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone, for example) at an easy high school level. There will be cues when less common instruments are used. The second and third parts within instrument sections will be easier than the first parts. The movements will be drawn from the following expressions of emotions representing what might be said in a tweet: gratitude, humor, sarcasm, rage, sadness, frustration, kudos, scared, compassion, happiness, grumpy, enthusiastic, and caring. The composer is open to other suggestions of emotions from consortium members. Movements will be posted here as they are created.
Number of participants and cost
- Cost of participation is $50 per group. The participation fee would be due within 30 days of receipt of the music.
- A minimum of 5 participants are needed to move forward on this project.
- Each participant should make a commitment to perform the composition at least once during the year following the receipt of score and parts.
- The score and parts will be delivered as PDF files in order to keep the commission cost low.
- Each participant will be listed on the composition as part of the consortium and will have local premiere rights.
- After one year, the composition will be made available for purchase by the general public. The copyright will remain with Co-op Press.
- Participants may submit a recording of their performance and be eligible to receive the $100 prize for the best recording submitted.
- By April 1, 2017 - expression of interest using email link at the bottom of this page.
- May 1, 2017 - composition emailed to participants
- June 1, 2017 - payment due
Participants as of 2/22/17:
Andrew Kesten and Paul Gibson - Tucumcari, NM
Promotion of the Commissioning Consortium
Please feel free to use news groups, forums, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin), and word of mouth to recruit participants. Your spreading the word helps us meet the minimum participation needed to move the project forward.
Email us using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page to express interest or to ask questions.